White Fish with Fresh-Cut Strawberry and Avocado Salsa
Although lesser known than the citrus fruit family, strawberries, like all berries, are a great source of vitamin C. Load up on berries in the spring and summer, and freeze for a burst of the sunshine vitamin throughout the winter months.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 - 20 minutes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Strawberries
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds and pulp removed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of half a fresh lime
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 6 white fish fillets such as sole, basa or halibut, about 4-5 ounces each
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1. Salsa: In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Refrigerate. Lightly toss in diced avocado right before serving.
2. Fish: Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place fish on a parchment-lined baking sheet with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
3. Serve fish garnished with the freshly made salsa.
SOURCE: CropLife publication From Farm to Food cookbook