Rustic Peach and Berry Tarts
Using prepared puff pastry makes this dessert easier than making a pie. Blueberries and raspberries add colour to these open-faced peach tarts.
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 sheets (450 g) frozen butter puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated
- 4 Ontario Peaches or Nectarines
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each fresh Ontario Blueberries and Raspberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose fl our
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 Ontario Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarse sugar
- Icing sugar
Unroll puff pastry sheets, leaving pastry on parchment paper. Lightly fl our and roll each sheet to 11-inch (28 cm) square. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares. Cut corners off pastry to make rough rounds. Using parchment paper, transfer pastry to large baking sheet.
Peel peaches and cut into thin wedges; place in large bowl with berries. Sprinkle with lemon juice and gently mix. In small bowl, combine granulated sugar, fl our and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit and toss gently.
Divide fruit mixture evenly into centre of each circle, leaving 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) border. Fold edge of the dough up and over filling, pinching pastry to enclose filling. Brush edges with egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake in 375 F (190 C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and peaches are tender. Place tarts on wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, lightly dusted with icing sugar.
PROTEIN: 5 grams
FAT: 14 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 40 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 180 mg
SOURCE: Foodland Ontario